Thursday, May 26, 2011

The making of a print ad

I have been working on some great new flower design items for the summer.

The first creation was a wastepaper basket with a King Charles Spaniel inside a gold medallion surrounded by my new floral pattern.


I liked the wastepaper basket so much...

that I created a very large tray to match...



and then I liked that so much that I created five new tissue box cover designs...



With all these new designs in my studio, I knew exactly what my next print ad would feature. When it came time to set up the products for my photo shoot (on my back porch this morning) I could not decide which items to feature so I took pictures of everything. Once it started to rain, I moved it all inside and sat down at my computer to go through all the pictures.

My first choice was a shot with the King Charles Spaniel Wastepaper Basket, the matching King Charles Spaniel Tissue Box Cover and the Swan Tissue Box Cover.

Here is the first ad I designed around 12 noon.



Well, I just could not leave well enough alone, so here is the second ad I finished around 6:00 p.m.



Well, I still could not leave well enough alone, so here is the third ad I finished around 12 midnight.



I emailed the ad to the magazine, so I guess that is my final ad.

When in doubt... simplify.