Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Keep it Simple"

Every time we have friends over for dinner, my husband says "let's keep it simple". This is because I tend to go overboard cleaning the house, planning the food, worrying about everything being ready at the correct time. After 19 years of marriage, he knows my routine. So, when we had friends over recently, I did spend the day cleaning and worrying. However, I did find some time to rearrange our entryway. And I think I kept it simple and beautiful.

I did not buy anything new, just moved some of items from around the house. I love to dress up simple old wooden tables. This one is my favorite because it is such a great shade of red.

The tole tray is an old painting on top of an oil lid of all things, the matching silver candlesticks were purchased by a friend on a trip to France, the bust of the woman was a great Hobby Lobby find, the canvas is one of my new designs and the crown hook was a recent gift. And of course, we have a few Pug accessories here and there.
I did find some time that day to make strawberry soup for dessert. It's a simple, fun summertime recipe from the July/August issue of Victoria Magazine. The recipe called for bowls, but I liked the vintage sundae cups instead.

Old-Fashioned Strawberry Soup
3 cups hulled, sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup peach nectar
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1. In the work bowl of a food processor, combine the strawberries, sugar, and mint. Pulse to roughly chop. With the food processor running, slowly pour in the peach nectar and vinegar. Refrigerate soup until chilled, about 1 hour.
2. Spoon chilled strawberry soup into bowls, and top each with with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.